Saturday, May 23, 2015

Stream of consciousness #1

I haven't been keeping up with this blog because, honestly, I'm too lazy. It's exhausting for me to even think about writing. Maybe the best approach is a stream of consciousness approach. This has been nice and easy so far, but I'm sure I'm going to end up with some sloppy writing.

Ultimately, I want to get back into the practice of writing often. I'm feeling a familiar urge to make a story, but I'm out of practice. I think just getting words on a page is a step in the right direction, though. I'd talk a bit about what's inspiring me, but I feel like once it's recorded somewhere the need to create will vanish. I'll keep that seed inside for now.

While I'm flowing along here, let's nail down something concrete. This has all been so vague.



Yesterday, I went to a local festival, Boston Calling, with two friends. The two artists I wanted to see happened to billed for the same night, so that was great. Sharon Van Etten was powerful, and Tame Impala was everything. The two Sam Adams summer beers I had were nice too, even though I don't usually love Sam Adams brews. Before I left Boston, I grabbed a couple bottles of Lapis Luna "Moon Eyes" (a cabernet sauvignon from California). I haven't been able to find any of the stuff in Rhode Island, and I really like it's woodsy, silky depth.

Once I leave off here, I'll probably pick up some Indian food for me and Drew. (Yes, in this case, "me" is correct.) I'm going to spend too much money, probably, but eff it. I was just promoted, so I'll probably have room in my next paycheck for this...but also maybe not. (My company is almost notorious for underpaying its editors, and my new salary is really more appropriate for the job I'm being promoted out of.) There might be another post on this sometime in the future (I really hate promising any posts, because I'm terrible about the follow-up) but despite the low pay, I'm really looking forward to this new position. It's much closer to what I'd like to be doing ideally, and unless I want to move to New York City (I don't), it's probably the best job around.

I've been sitting with my hands clasped for a little while now, so I think I'm done writing. If I stay disciplined, I may even be back soon. I'm thinking of changing the name of this blog, too. I've been calling it "Roots" in my head since I first became interested in blogging, but the name must have been taken. On the other hand, "One Weird Moon" fits nicely with my Murakami-fever, so it might stay. WHO KNOWS.


Here's an amazing Sharon Van Etten song that you need in your life:


If you haven't ever heard Tame Impala, shame on you. Go listen to literally any song (if you need more direction, I recommend starting with Lonerism).

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the promotion!

    Sometimes I find it difficult to stay current on my blog as well, and I've been curious about doing a stream of consciousness to get some inspiration going.

    I used to journal all the time; sometimes even multiple times a day, and I wish I could do the same with my blog!

    I loved reading this and definitely think you should continue :)

    Jaclyn xx

    ReplyDelete