Monday, May 25, 2015

The Lighter Beers of Summer

I'm usually a dark beer (or hoppy beer) kind of gal, but I make a few exceptions when those beers start to feel too heavy in the summer.

Curious Traveler is a fun shandy that comes together more naturally than other beer-lemonade hybrids. Too many shandies have an odd yeasty, bitter aftertaste, but Traveler somehow concocted a lemon beer that finishes clean and doesn't taste like someone spilled super sweet lemonade in a beer.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ might actually be my favorite summer beer, because it's hoppy and light, somehow. I always think I taste grapefruit in there somewhere, but that may just be wishful thinking. (By the way, Traveler makes a nice grapefruit beer if you're into that sort of thing.) It finishes dry, so it's easy drink through the whole bottle on accident. I think Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is technically an American pale wheat ale, but it definitely has an IPA feel.


OKAY. We're in untested waters now. I haven't tried these next two beers yet, but they are on my "to try" list. I think I'm going to love them. 

Stillwater Artisanal describes Of Love & Regret as a saison brewed with heather, chamomile, lavender, and dandelion. Let it be known that I'm a sucker for anything floral tasting (especially lavender). Stillwater Artisanal also says this beer is "like a fresh meadow in spring," which sounds pretty much perfect.

Deschutes Brewery touts this beer's awards on their website (Gold Medal, Bitter Category in the 2005 North American Beer Awards; World's Best Seasonal Pale Ale in the 2012 World Beer Awards). One reviewer says, "It’s for those long hours of summer sunset when you need something a little more than a basic thirst-killing lager but not quite ready for a full on hefty ale in the darker hours. So, yeah, calling it Twilight about nails it." I'm intrigued.

Any summer staples missing from this list? Please shout 'em out!

No comments:

Post a Comment